Saturday, August 11, 2012

Fourteen Hour Drive Home - NAILED IT!

I'm HOME! It's so good to be back. I'm almost even ready for classes to start (almost). I got back yesterday at about 3, and haven't hardly been actually in my home since.  My friend Katie and I went to go see the Dark Knight Rises last night, and it was AWESOME!
And, I finally know who this guy is:
"Still more facial expressions than Kristen Stewart." LOL.
Still more facial expressions than Kristen Stewart



















Anyway, I'm still catching up on past pins...I'm trying to get them out of the way before I try something new, and since just I'm sitting here in a puddle of sweat and jealousy, waiting for Austin to get back from nice, cool California (seriously.. it's 79 degrees there right now) to bake something so I can give it to him and avoid single-handedly eat the entire thing, I figured I should get them done now.

Lego Cake - Failed It!

LEGO cake -- tried to make it but it was really really hard to get all the little top bumps covered
Betty Crocker
My big mistake in this one was laziness. I went to the store, bought everything I needed, got back to the apartment and promptly realized that I'd forgotten to buy marshmallows to use as the bumps on top.  I had some brownie mix on hand, though, and I figured I could just bake some thin-ish brownies and cover them with frosting.  As with most of my brilliant ideas, that didn't go so well.  It was really hard to get the frosting on the sides of the brownies without them crumbling, and then they wouldn't stick to the cake when I tried to cover the top. Eventually, I just gave up on it and, once again, left it out for the roommates (It was supposed to be a birthday cake for a friend of mine..he never got it). I'd like to try this again, but with marshmallows, and maybe instead of frosting them, since that still seems difficult (I'm really bad at frosting cakes...), I would dip them in colored candy melts.

Reese's Fudge Pie - Failed It!

Reeses Fudge Pie -- not good! super foamy and squishy texture and too rich
Reese's Fudge Pie
Finally, something that failed not because of a stupid mistake or idea of my own.  I just didn't really like it.  See how thick the chocolate layer is? Well that's ALL homemade hot fudge sauce.  Now, I love hot fudge sauce, don't get me wrong, but this was just too much.  The fudge was too thick and heavy and sticky, and the peanut butter mousse on top was too fluffy and smooshy (forgive the five-year-old's adjective).  I think we ended up picking the mini Reeses out and throwing the rest of it away.

Better than Crack Brownies - NAILED IT!

Better than crack brownies...sooo good
Better Than Crack Brownies

I'm not sure if these actually count, considering I made them back when Pinterest didn't exist (I found them on Stumble Upon) but now they're on Pinterest sooo I'm counting it. Because they were SOO good. They're basically brownies with a layer of peanut butter cups and peanuts, and then covered in a chocolate-peanut butter-rice krispie layer.  Seriously, they were amazing. And awful for you, but I don't even care. The only issue I had with them is that they're hard to transport once they're cut, because they fall apart (the top comes apart from the brownie layer). But that's a minor detail in light how how amazing these were.


And that's it! I'm caught up!! Hallelujah!

Except NOW what am I gonna do until Austin comes home?...crap




1 comment: